Jump to content
Grand Central Mets
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted

You know, I spend a lot of time ragging on David Stearns. But he deserves an appreciation thread. I don't personally have anything to add, but I'm sure someone here does. 

Go ahead, y'all! 

I'm actually interested to see what others have to say. 

Old-Timey Member
Posted

Benge has to be the top of the list.  He’s the first player from a draft overseen by Stearns to make the majors and all signs are pointing towards success with him.

Also a good bit of talent has graduated the farm system in the last year (McLean, Ewing, Thornton) that was drafted in June 2023 — before Stearns arrived — but he still gets some credit for the years of development while he was at the helm.

The Jose Iglesias signing worked out fabulously.

Old-Timey Member
Posted

The Soto deal showed he'd could go out and get the best guy available, and the player option was written in a way that ensures Soto stays.

Posted

I have a theory. Unproven, but a theory. 
 

Stearns is a smart guy. He has an idea of what will make players successful. And if you let him draft, develop, he will churn out guys that are successful under his approach. He will miss, like anyone else, but with enough time, the Mets will become successful at developing talent. something similar to the Brewers. 
 

But for established players, or players that don’t fit the Stearns mold (whatever that may be), Stearns has no idea how to get the most out of them. In fact, his principles can be detrimental. 
 

In other words, he has a great philosophy, and if you learn it young, or it happens to work for you, you’ll be successful. But if it doesn’t work, Stearns has no ability to adjust to the individual player, and he will be detrimental to a player’s performance. Kinda like a batting coach that teaches everyone the same exact swing. 
 

If his intelligence is his greatest strength, and I believe he’s smart, then his stubbornness, I believe, is his biggest flaw. He gets so entrenched in his own mind that he can’t see obvious pitfalls. 
 

anyway. We’ll see how he does in 2027. I think he knows he’s safe for next year, but knows he’s gone if they miss the playoffs again. And I think his pride will ensure that he puts a good team on the field. 

Posted
3 hours ago, smg58 said:

The Soto deal showed he'd could go out and get the best guy available, and the player option was written in a way that ensures Soto stays.

I don't think Stearns had anything to do with getting Juan Soto, and if it were up to him he's probably smart enough not to hand out that kind of contract to anyone much less a zombie DH on steroids.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...