Edgy MD Site Manager Posted Sunday at 06:17 PM Posted Sunday at 06:17 PM Aroldis Chapman, 2009: Aroldis Chapman, 2026:
Marshmallowmilkshake Old-Timey Member Posted Monday at 01:53 AM Posted Monday at 01:53 AM He seems to like tattoos.
Frayed Knot Old-Timey Member Posted Monday at 09:37 AM Posted Monday at 09:37 AM I think the difference can be passed off as normal growth for someone starting at age 21 as he was in that top picture. On the other hand, you can't spell Aroldis or Rodriguez without ROID, so maybe not.
Edgy MD Site Manager Posted Monday at 12:57 PM Author Posted Monday at 12:57 PM 3 hours ago, Frayed Knot said: I think the difference can be passed off as normal growth for someone starting at age 21 as he was in that top picture. 'Taint nothing normal about that build. The man is a mesomorph. That photo is from 2020.
MFS62 Old-Timey Member Posted Monday at 03:10 PM Posted Monday at 03:10 PM When he signed those free agent contracts in the intervening years, didn't anyone ever ask him to pee into the bottle? Isn't that part of a standard pre-employment physical? Didn't they even just look at him? So much for the MLB policy. Later
Gwreck Old-Timey Member Posted Monday at 05:13 PM Posted Monday at 05:13 PM 2 hours ago, MFS62 said: When he signed those free agent contracts in the intervening years, didn't anyone ever ask him to pee into the bottle? Isn't that part of a standard pre-employment physical? Didn't they even just look at him? So much for the MLB policy. Later The MLB drug testing policy (https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/oqj0ztqxefst9pmkpbcl.pdf) is jointly agreed upon by the union and MLB and includes random tests of every player at least once during spring training, the regular season, and the offseason, plus additional testing at random (a player might thus be tested 4 or more times in a given year versus the minimum 3). A team cannot separately mandate its own tests the way an employer without unionized employees might.
Gwreck Old-Timey Member Posted Monday at 05:14 PM Posted Monday at 05:14 PM I’ll also add that I would be very cautious about concluding definitive PED usage based solely on photographs. Now, if you want to talk about Chapman’s suspension for violating MLB’s Domestic Violence policy…and making some conclusions based on that…I have a different view.
Cowtipper Old-Timey Member Posted Monday at 05:20 PM Posted Monday at 05:20 PM His head isn't four times larger than it used to be, so I'm pretty sure he's just bulked up a lot. MFS62 1
Edgy MD Site Manager Posted Monday at 05:23 PM Author Posted Monday at 05:23 PM 8 minutes ago, Gwreck said: I’ll also add that I would be very cautious about concluding definitive PED usage based solely on photographs. Now, if you want to talk about Chapman’s suspension for violating MLB’s Domestic Violence policy…and making some conclusions based on that…I have a different view. You go.
MFS62 Old-Timey Member Posted Monday at 06:44 PM Posted Monday at 06:44 PM 1 hour ago, Gwreck said: The MLB drug testing policy (https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/oqj0ztqxefst9pmkpbcl.pdf) is jointly agreed upon by the union and MLB and includes random tests of every player at least once during spring training, the regular season, and the offseason, plus additional testing at random (a player might thus be tested 4 or more times in a given year versus the minimum 3). A team cannot separately mandate its own tests the way an employer without unionized employees might. Yes, but how many times have we read that a free agent has been signed "pending a physical"? He has been a free agent. As a free agent he isn't subject to the MLBPA until he signs again. His prospective employer can test him for drugs, no? Later
Gwreck Old-Timey Member Posted Monday at 08:51 PM Posted Monday at 08:51 PM It’s been a while since I’ve read the Basic Agreement, and I am neither a physician nor an expert on collective bargaining. With those disclaimers: -I do not believe it is correct that a Free Agent is “not subject to the MLBPA.” My understanding is that the provisions of the basic agreement between MLB and the union do apply to free agent signings. -I would not expect standard physicals for players signing free agent contracts to test for PEDs. I would expect they are mostly orthopedic in nature. I suppose they could include some standard blood work but I’d expect that to the extent there was specific screening for PEDs or drugs of abuse that any such testing is subject to the joint drug testing program.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now